We all know we could do better about staying hydrated throughout the day, but even with water available, almost everywhere, and bottles made for travel, most people still do not achieve adequate water intake. This is important to keep in mind because every bodily process requires water. Without a consistent, adequate level, you can risk more than dehydration. Kidney stones, loss of cognitive function, constipation, and fatigue can all be related to poor fluid balance.
We've established why water is essential, but let's be honest, sometimes we’re looking for something a little less…meh. The lemon wedge is always nice, but we’re often left wanting more. Here is a simple formula with some recipes to try:
MUDDLED FRUIT + HERBS + LIQUID BASE + CITRUS + OPTIONAL ADD-INS
MUDDLED FRUIT: Soft fruits work best.
● Ripe nectarines or peaches coarsely chopped
● Pitted cherries
HERBS: Here are a few combinations – just chop coarsely and muddle with fruit before adding liquids.
● Mint + Watermelon
● Basil + Peach
● Rosemary + Grapefruit
● Sage + Blackberry
● Lemon verbena + ANYTHING!
● Cilantro + Lime + Honeydew
LIQUID BASE: Go for color and flavor.
● Herbal Tea – We love hibiscus for its gorgeous color and rich flavor. Steep four bags in a cup of boiling water to increase the density of flavor.
● Green Tea – Everything from matcha to yerbé mate, it’s all good. Be sure to select
caffeinated varieties as the health-promoting flavonoids are destroyed during the
● Lemon Tea – Add the rind from a lemon to 2 cups of boiling water. Simmer for 5
minutes then let sit to infuse.
● Ginger Tea – Peel and coarsely chop 2” piece of ginger and bring to a boil in two cups of water. Simmer for 5 minutes then let sit to infuse.
CITRUS: Squeeze in to finish and add some slices.
● Splash of sparkling water – Everyone loves a little fizz!
● Cucumber – Nothing screams refreshing quite like cucumber! Just peel and process in a blender to purée. About 1/2 cucumber per drink works.
● Chia seed – This seed holds more than 30x its weight in water and can help maintain hydration long after you have emptied your glass. Try adding 1 teaspoon to your glass and stir well. Let sit for 10 minutes before drinking.
● Stevia or a touch of agave for added sweetness
PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER: Try these delicious recipes
● Cilantro-Lime Melon Cooler: honeydew + cilantro + matcha green tea + lime juice + cucumber
● Ultimate Aqua Fresca: strawberry + mint + hibiscus tea + lime + sparkling water
● Fuzzy Peach-Basil Chia Fresca: peach + basil + peach green tea + lemon + chia seed
● Blackberry-Sage Cooler: blackberries + sage leaf [just one will do] + berry green tea + sparkling water
● Citrus Rosemary Refresher – nectarine + rosemary [just a few leaves with stem for
garnish] + green tea + grapefruit + cucumber